Re: Kernel Upgrade

Hello

Johnno (<valentine@xtra.co.nz>) wrote:

> I was trying to update the kernel from 2.2.0 to 2.4.18-1-386
>
> I used apt-get install kernel-image-2.4.18-1-386
>
> I have tried to install it a few times but still get the some errors
> when I reboot
>
> VFS: Cannot open root device "301" or 03:01
> Kernel Panic: VFS unable to mount root fs on 03:01

You need to configure lilo to use the initrd, because without it the
kernel cannot load the drivers needed to access the root device. Add
the line

initrd=/initrd.img

to the Linux section (if that is the entry for 2.4) of your lilo.conf,
and run lilo.

best regards
 Andreas Janssen

PGP-Key-ID: 0xDC801674 ICQ #17079270