can only ping after kernel upgrade

Howdy,
I loaded up woody with the bootbf2.4-xfs_with_basedebs.iso netist image yesterday. I then proceeded to upgrade my kernel to 2.4.27. I used apt-get to get the sources, copied the orig config from /boot, ran make oldconfig (used the defaults) and then ran make-kpkg to compile. I then installed it with dpkg -i and rebooted. Everything seems to come up right, except I cannot access any network recourses. I CAN ping, but that is it. I can ping internal and external addresses. I can also ping with dns resolution (I pinged www.yahoo.com). I also pinged with larger packet sizes (1200) and it still pings fine... but I cannot use lynx, ftp, or apt-get. I tried loading the nic driver (3c59x) as a module or compiling into he kernel, it doesn't work either way. I tried assigning the address static and dhpc, doesn't work either way. I works fine with the vanilla kernel.

Any ideas why that is happening?
Thanks!
--
bernie