Re: apache + mass virtual hosting +tomcat please help (resin ??)

You can accomplish this with resin.

You can tell resin which hosts resin should take care of and which it shouldn't.

read some docs and give it a whirl
www.caucho.com

resin 3.0.9 has been release as GPL.

Pritpal Dhaliwal

Roozemond, D.A. wrote:

 Hi,

Few virtual sites needs tomcat in order to work. I have installed tomcat4 and mod_jk2, but I have no idea how could I tell that www.tomcatsite.com which is /var/vhosts/www.tomcatsite.com/httpdocs is a site that requires java ?

IIRC Tomcat is a standalone program, not a plugin for apache. This means
tomcat needs to listen on port 80 in order to serve http requests, and
this is exactly the port where apache wants to listen on (and apparently
is listening on, if all this mass virtual hosting is actually working).

So I think it is not possible to have apache serve requests to
http://somesite1.com and tomcat requests for http://somesite2.com
(although there might be a workaround with bridged networking etc). The
easiest solution I see is letting tomcat run on port 81 (for instance),
and tell apache to redirect any requests for http://www.tomcatsite.com/
to http://www.tomcatsite.com:81/, which tomcat will then serve (probably
in a manner similar to the one you defined in apache).

Hope I made it somewhat clearer...

Dan