Help! System hosed.

Last Friday, the clip holding my CPU heatsink in place broke.  Naturally, the CPU got overheated and fried.  On Tuesday, I got a new case, power supply, motherboard, CPU and memory.  I moved my HD and floppy to the new case and installed a new CDRW/DVD drive.  Then, I powered up the system.

It seemed to boot OK.  X started up with no apparent problems.  I had a bad connection on the CDRW, but that didn't keep the system from working, otherwise.

I set the date correctly and rebooted.

That is where everything went wrong.  I got dumped into single user mode to run fsck manually.  This always scares me nearly to death.  The last time that I did this, I took all the defaults and everything was fine after that.  This time, I was not so lucky.

The system now boots with no apparent problems, and I can run console apps with few, if any problems, but occaisonally, messages pop up like:

NET: Reistered protocol family 10
Disabled privacy Extentions on device c02f17c0(lo)
IPv6 over IPv4 tunnelin driver

I have seen this error, or its near cousin numerous times, but it does not seem to prevent me from continuing.

X is another matter.  Running startx usually just hangs the system with a blank screen.  I just tried it again, however, and the server actually displayed my background color for a few seconds before it died, dumping me back at the console with a bunch of messages like:

Warning: font renderer for :.bdf.Z" already registered at priority 0

and a number of warnings from FVWM, such as:

<<WARNING>> Couldn't load image from /usr/share/imp/2.0/images/wilber-icon.png

I just tried it again: blank screen, completely hung.  <CTL><ALT><BKSP> did nothing <CTL><ALT><DEL> did reboot, but nothing shows on screen as the system goes down, it stays blank until the BIOS messages appear after the reboot.

I am assuming that some of my files are hosed, but I have no idea what, or how to fix it.  If I do 'apt-get update' it gives me an error about losing the http connection.  'apt-get upgrade' always seg-faults.  'dpkg -l' sometimes works (I got a hard coppy of my installed packages) and sometime doesn't.  I just ran it three times, the first time gave me a correct listing, the second time gave the following error:

dpkg-query: parse error, in file 'var/lib/dpkg/status' near line 782 package 'libfreetype6':
field name '$' must be followed by a colon

The third time seg-faulted immediately.

If I can't run either apt, or dpkg, how would I fix this even if I knew what the problem was?  Do I have to wipe everything but my 'home' partition and reinstall from scratch and the package listing that I did manage to print out?  Is there any way short of this rather drastic approach?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.  Please!

--
Marc Shapiro