Re: Weirdness with realtek 8169

Alex Malinovich kirjutas:
> On Thu, 2004-10-14 at 14:46 +0300, Juhan Kundla wrote:

[...]

> > What do you think? Is this kernel (r8169.c) problem or is it problem
> > with faulty hardware? Perhaps my NIC has simply wrong
> > BIOS/firmware/whatever flashed on it?
>
> I actually just had a problem with the 8139too module yesterday myself.
> The error that it was giving me was about an invalid IRQ, and it wanted
> me to load the module with a pci=bios (or something like that) option.
> The workaround in my case, at least, was to go into the BIOS and disable
> the Plug and Play OS feature so that the BIOS would assign an IRQ to the
> device. Did that and the module loaded just fine.

My kernel has the plug and play support compiled in, i don't think, this
is the problem. The trouble-NIC is made by Planet and its model code is
ENW-9605. I have a few other NICs from Planet (ENW-9605A). They all have
the same Realtek 8169 chip, difference is only that the latter has PXE
BootROM. Those NICs with BootROM work fine in the very same computer
with r8169 driver. And of course -- they show the expected PCI ID
(0x8169) when queried with lspci.

Only the one NIC is different (the one without BootROM). It has
different PCI ID (0x8129), although it has the very same chip. Linux
kernel refuses to play with it. I'm beginning more and more to think
that this weird NIC must have wrong firmware flashed on. I submitted a
message to the Planet's support form. Shall see, what the response is.

Juhan