power-button >> poweroff

I'm having trouble getting my power button shut down my computer.

So far it either 1) powers off the hard way, BOOM or 2) doesn't react at all

I've installed apmd and have apm loaded as a modules from debian stock 2.6.8 kernel (2.6.8-1-686).

I've read about acpi, and am fairly sure my motherboard supports it (it says ACPI BIOS at post time). But whem doing a modprobe acpi without apm module loaded:

rune:~# modprobe acpi
WARNING: Error inserting processor (/lib/modules/2.6.8-1-686/kernel/drivers/acpi/processor.ko): No such device FATAL: Error inserting acpi (/lib/modules/2.6.8-1-686/kernel/arch/i386/kernel/cpu/cpufreq/acpi.ko): Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
rune:~# dmesg
(...)
acpi: Unknown symbol acpi_processor_unregister_performance
acpi: Unknown symbol acpi_processor_register_performance

I've tried various kernel appends in grub (can't remember them all) and I am getting tired of the hard poweroffs and booting.

Is there a way of getting the stock debian kernel (2.6) make a gracefull shutdown with the power button?

Is a custom kernel compile really nessecary, and if so should I go with acpi or apm?

TIA
Rune