Re: Help! Lost keyboard - still failing

On Tuesday 12 October 2004 10:23 am, Clive Menzies wrote:
> On (12/10/04 08:36), Michael Satterwhite wrote:
> > To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
> > From: Michael Satterwhite <michael@weblore.com>
> > Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 08:36:37 -0500
> > Subject: Help! Lost keyboard.
> >
> > I'm running Sid. Everything was working fine. I did *NOT* run any apt
> > command or (knowingly) make any changes - other than a sound level change
> > in kmix. Regardless, things were working perfectly up to the point of a
> > reboot.
> >
> > I'm using KDE / KDM. I rebooted my system to Windows for a test, then
> > booted back to Linux. When the system comes up, KDM does not accept any
> > input from the keyboard. The keyboard is working fine; I went to a
> > console session (available from the mouse - which is working fine) and
> > was able to type without a problem. Without a keyboard, I'm dead in the
> > water. Can anyone offer any help?
>
> In a console, as root:
>
> dpkg-reconfigure kdm
>
> If that doesn't do it try:
>
> dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86

I tried both of these, but it still comes up with the keyboard failing. I'm
able to get it back as follows:

Use the mouse to start a console session
Login as root, then immediately log out.
About 60% of the time, X restarts here - with the keyboard active.
If it doesn't start, enter startx as the userid and a blank password. (I did
this by accident once). When the login fails, the X-Server starts with the
keyboard active.

Unless someone has something else I can try, I probably ought to submit a bug
report on it.