esdsink

Hi, I'm running GNOME with Sarge.  It seems GNOME is configured to use
the esd sound driver by default yet some (GNOME?) sound
applications--Music Player (a.k.a rhythmbox), Sound Recorder (a.k.a
gnome-sound-recorder)--seem to be configured to use OSS (with no
preference option to change it to esd).  When trying to run some of
these apps, I get a message complaining that the OSS device, /dev/dsp,
is already in use by another program.  Esd, for instance!?

I've tried going to Desktop Preferences-->Advanced-->Multimedia Systems
Selector to change the default audio output pipeline from "osssink"
(for which the test fails) to "esdsink" (for which the test fails).
This doesn't seem to work much less resolve the problem.  As I'm
just using default stuff, seems this would be a common problem
unless others don't try making use of such audio apps.  Not a big
deal.  Just curious what others may know/have to say concerning this.

--
Paul Yeatman       (858) 534-9896        pyeatman@ucsd.edu