Re: make menuconfig and xconfig

On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 16:17:03 +0200
Erik Jakobsen <eja@urbakken.dk> wrote:

> I have tried to run make xconfig and make menuconfig on my debian sarge
> system.
>
> But I'm receiving errors, and have Googled without any luck.

} From /usr/share/doc/kernel-package/README:
}
} Before you go any further, please allow me to point out that you need to
} have a few other packages installed before you can compile your own
} kernels
} (it is difficult to compile anything without a compiler ;-).
}
} Firstly, you will need gcc, the libc development package (libc5-dev or
} libc6-dev at the time of writing), and, on Intel platforms, bin86. [If
} you use the menuconfig target of make, you will need ncursesX.X-dev,
} and make xconfig also requires either tkX.X-dev for 2.4.X kernels, or
} libqt3-mt-dev and g++ >= 3.0 for the new 2.6 kernel versions, and 2.6.X
} kernels also have an additional option, make gconfig, which requires
} libglade2-dev, and other packages these depend on]
}
} The packages suggested are:
} devel:        gcc, libc5-dev/libc6-dev, binutils, make, and, for intel
}               x86 platforms, bin86 (non-Intel platforms don't need
}               this), modutils (or module-init-tools for 2.5.x+ kernels).
} interpreters: awk, which is contained in either the mawk or gawk }               packages
} base:         gzip, shellutils, and grep.

		(remove "snip-me." to email)