Re: big boot problem with sid i-386 installer

On (13/10/04 14:38), Dan Roozemond wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > First,I installed win xp pro in /dev/hda1,
> > then  installed debian with  sid  net-installer,
> > and partitioned  for linux with installer,
> > everything went well.But
> > after  rebooted ,grub just couldn't recognize the NTFS partition
> > and  wouldn't boot the windows xp.
> > Even worse,i couldn't install xp with windows xp cd again,
> > xp installation can't merge the grub,so i couldn't proceed.
> >

> You would really help us help you solve the problem if you could post
> 1) The error grub generates when he doesn't recognize the NFTS partition
> 2) Your grub configuration ( /boot/menu/grub.lst on my debian testing)
>
> My guess would be problems arise because grub is not in /dev/hda1, but I'm
> not sure if that really is (or should be) a problem.

It would also be useful to see the partition table

grub boots from the mbr usually seen in the menu.lst as:

# groot=(hd0,0) (the first partition on the first disk)

grub will look for the kernel options where grub is installed - normally
the root partition of your debian install - ie. which ever partition
is "/"  as follows:
# kopt=root=/dev/hdaX ro (X = partition number)

and your windows system should appear in menu.lst like this:

# This entry automatically added by the Debian installer for a non-linux
# OS on /dev/hda1
title           Windows 95/98/Me
root            (hd0,0)
savedefault