Internet slow with Debian Sarge w/2.6

I've just installed Debian Sarge via netinstall with the 2.6 kernel.
The internet is horribly slow.  However I've had this before in Suse
9.1 so I assumed I need to disable ipv6 support.  I went to
/etc/modutils and edited aliases to uncomment line 11.  I changed:

#alias net-pf-10 off		# IPv6

alias net-pf-10 off		# IPv6

I rebooted and nothing changed.
Is there something else I need to do?  I've searched on the internet
(Google) and I didn't seem to find anything other than what I've done.
 The only other thing that I found was the possibility of adding
"install ipv6 /bin/true" above the line that I've changed... but that
doesn't make sense to me. Thanks.

- Mark