Re: woody: boot fail after upgrade

Thanks everyone for helping. I solved the problem now.
Combining the feedbacks that I got, I obtained a rescue disk, and booted into
my system. I then try to fix lilo and looked at /etc/lilo.conf. There is a big
reminder sign at the top of the file that says if the conf file is changed,
then "lilo" must be exec or the system may fail to boot. I did exactly that
and the system is now working. Looks like the upgrade scripts somehow fail to
exec the lilo commmand after the upgrade.
Again, thanks for all the helpful hints.

Howard

> I think the first thing I will need is to mount the HD so that I can have
> access to the HD. I can boot using a CD to a shell. There are a few important
> files that I want to rescue. If I can do that, the worse case is to reinstall
> the system which I can afford to do since I have only been building up my
> server and have not put it to any real work yet.
>

> I am newish to linux and am not quite sure how to mnt the HD. It will be much
> appreciated if someone can let me know how.

Once you're in a shell just do "mount /dev/(partition) /mnt". Your
harddrive partition should now be mounted on /mnt.

 From there you could do "chroot /mnt". This will change your current
root to /mnt, so now it's as if you had successfully booted your system.