Large file problem?

I want to back up a large file to DVD. I have been backing up
'normal' files to DVD successfully for some time, but this
one is 2725942329 bytes, and someting is keeping growisofs
from writing any more than 8033337 bytes. I've tried twice
and gotten this same length result both times. I can make
another copy of the file on HD with cp and the copy has
the same length, so I suppose there is no corruption of
the file. But I should note that I cannot to a diff of the
copy against the original because gives an error message
"diff: memory exhausted"
and quits almost immediately, i.e. well before it could
have read even a few % of the files.

growisofs does not issue any error messages. It just
issues it normal progress report and expected end time
messages, writing trailer message.

Is there a file size limit in the dvd?, the kernel?, where?

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net