Re: sysvinit/gnome/display bug report

In article <[🔎] 20041009034140.65907.qmail@web60302.mail.yahoo.com>,
Arjen Dragt  <arjen_dragt@yahoo.ca> wrote:
>I am trying to determine the best category under which
>to file a Debian bug report.
>The symptoms (completely repeatable) are that trying
>to change to runlevel S (via telinit or init) does not
>work, insteat causes my screen (console - Gnome
>session) to go really wierd.....command line starts
>scrolling very fast (blank lines), any mouse clicks
>initiate multiple windows (of whatever was clicked
>on).  It looks a lot like a loop gone bad (endless
>loop).

Well, that's probably because the system is doing what you're
TELLING it to do, not what you WANT it to do :)

You don't use 'init s' to go to single user mode. You need
to go through runlevel 1 so things get shut down properly.
So 'init 1' or 'telinit 1' will do what you want.

If fact you should probably simply use the standard way to
go to single user mode, which is simply 'shutdown now'.

Mike.
--
"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes
 a revolutionary act." -- George Orwell.