TeX fax fonts

I would like to send a fax from a document generated by LaTeX.  My
understanding is that the standard computer modern fonts are not ideal
for faxing, so I've been trying to use something better.

I tried
\usepackage[fax]{lucidabr}
but this doesn't seem to be doing much.  The postscript output
indicates it does use different fonts.  However, judging from a
printed copy and xdvi, the main fonts appear to be the same.  They are
definitely serif, and I thought sans-serif was recommended for faxing.

The only visible differences are for the worse: bold face is not bold,
and the italic font is the same as the general one.

I tried
\usepackage[fax,calligraphic]{lucidabr}
which is supposed to convert italic to calligraphic, but the result is
! No declaration for shape OT1/hlce/m/it

The lucidabr docs have some installation instructions; I have assumed
things are already set up.  Is that my error?

Or, to make this actually work, do I need some commercial fonts?

Anyway, if anyone has advice on how to make good faxes with TeX, or
answers to the particular puzzles above, I'd be very grateful to hear
it.

Thanks.