Re: User unable to startx

On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 01:46:04 -0600
nobut1 <nobut1@cwis.net> wrote:

> Hello.  I recently have run upon a very annoying problem.  For reasons
>
> unknown, I can no longer start X from a standard user account.  Root
> can startx fine.  A user can change to su and startx X fine.  But
> whenever a standard user attempts to startx, they get a long list of
> errors culminating with /dev/null (Permission Denied).
>
> I am curious to exactly what could cause such an error and exactly how
>
> one would go about fixing such a problem.

The most common problem I have seen that causes a problem like this is a
hard drive with no free space left. If everything is installed on one
partition, it means the system won't let the user write to /tmp/ or
~/ any more, among other important ones.

If 'du -hs' reports this to be the actual problem, you might try
'apt-get clean' as a quick stop-gap measure to get into X and clean out
any unimportant files. Even better is if you have empty partitions you
can transfer some files to or another hard drive you can add, but I
realize we don't always have that luxury.

HTH,
Jacob