Re: Installing the xfree86

On Fri, Oct 08, 2004 at 03:31:32PM +0500, Asim Jamshed wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I recently installed xfree86 and kde in my computer. On booting the
> machine, it failed to start the xserver and hence xdm/kdm. I have
> changed the init level to 5 from /etc/inittab but I cant figure out
> which soft links I have to add in the rc5.d directory in order to
> start the GUI.
>
> P.S. The GUI runs when I execute startx followed by kde.bin from the
> kde2 directory once I log in thru command line user interface.
Hi Asim,
unlike other UN*Xes, run level 2-5 are the same. the default is 2. 2-5
are setup to run X. debian thinks its up to the administrator to define
what the run levels should be. if you want different run level, edit away.

did you install xdm,kdm,gdm or wdm. And if you did, did you set up you
default display manager?
type as root:
dpkg-reconfigure xdm
if xdm is installed or change xdm in the example above for the one you
have installed.

also, have you checked out the 'debian reference' on
the web site for more good tips. or you can:
apt-get install quick-reference-en
for the short version or
apt-get install debian-reference-en
for the complete guide.