Re: strange disk corruption - cables

On Fri, 8 Oct 2004 gcrimp@vcn.bc.ca wrote:

>         The discussion concerning this thread tells me that my own
> understanding of the issues at play is far below that of certain other
> posters.  However, I will humbly wonder aloud if the IDE cable is firmly
> seated in the connectors at both its ends.  On two or three occasions I have

it is not the "seating" of the cable that i was implying ...

the problem is if you have an ata-33 device ( cdrom ), than it will
slow down your ata-100/ata-133 disk performance when the cdrom
is on the same cable as the 3x - 4x faster disk drives

having different size disk buffers ( 2MB vs 8MB disk buffers ) also
screws up the disk performance or corruptions
	- though i haven't seen this mee-self

> spent much time cursing and fretting as I attempted to locate some serious
> cause for strange system behaviour, only to discover that the freakin' IDE
> cable had wiggled loose.

cables .. disk cables, power cables, led cables... should all be tied
down and never dangling  or touching metal or corners or unused header
pins on the mb

c ya
alvin