Re: New user Q: Best way to stay up to date on "testing"?

On Fri, 8 Oct 2004 23:13:15 +0200
"Dan Roozemond" <dan+debian@banaan.org> wrote:

> > The only thing that might cause a problem would be if it
> > updates a large
> > package (say Apache or Perl) and has a small configuration bug that
> > makes you run around and pull your hair out trying to figure
> > out what's
> > changed and how to fix it. This is when reading the Debian-user list
> > regularly is very helpful. However, Sarge is getting close enough to
> > release that I haven't noticed anything major like that in the five
> > or several months that I've been using it.
> >

> While we're at it - suppose someone is the only administrator of a
> debian(stable) system connected to the internet permanently, with SSH,
> Postfix and Bind exposed to the 'big bad' world. Say that someone is
> lucky enough to take a vacation, and is not able to connect to the
> machine for two weeks. How dangerous is it to have 'apt-get update;
> apt-get upgrade' ran automatically every day?
>
> No, this scenario is not entirely hypothetically ;)

Well, let's just say that I wouldn't do it unless I were going to be
looking for a new job while enjoying that 2 weeks of vacation. :-)

With Stable it should be rare for it to be a problem, for Sarge it
shouldn't be a problem very often, but there is still a chance for
problems in there somewhere.

On the upside, I don't have any example scenarios for Debian that I can
pull out of my hat, but just the same... :-) (I'm sure some of the guys
that have been using Debian since version 1.0 and before will have some
good stories though.)

HTH,
Jacob