Re: "apt-get dist-upgrade" Question:

On Fri, 8 Oct 2004 09:18:17 -0700 (PDT), Eric Dickner
<ejdickner@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> For my modem-connected machine it is a ginormous
> download, some 500 Meg...
>
> Will I, or some kind of disconnnect at the ISP, ruin
> the whole thing?

Usually not, eventually you'll find them in /var/cache/apt/archives/partial

> Can I then issue the command again
> and will it recognize the packcages it already got?

Yes, you'll find them on /var/cache/apt/archives

> Will it check these downloads for errors with an md5
> or something?
>
> Is this just a bad idea to try over a modem
> connection?

If you don't mind waiting, maybe launch it during night hours, there's
no drawbacks.

But if you know someone with a faster connection than your modem, like
cable or xDSL, you can download only the packages list via apt and
create, automatically, a script that will download via wget the needed
packages. The other machine don't need to run Debian or Linux, it only
needs wget. You'll find the details in a short HOWTO called, IIRC,
apt-offline...

Andrea