Re: strange disk corruption

  Henrique> On Thu, 07 Oct 2004, briand@aracnet.com wrote:
  >> I've currently set fsck to run pretty much on every other boot.

  Henrique> Install the memtest86+ package, activate it in lilo/grub,
  Henrique> reboot.

  Henrique> Let it test your main memory for at least 12h.

I have had many previous wrestling matches with bad memory.  Memory is
not the problem.

Here is the typical scenario:

1. Power on system - get fsck dtected errors system will now reboot message.

2. System reboots - comes up normally.

System runs for 1 or more days until one day I decide to shut it down
for some reason or another - typically 1 - 2 weeks.  I NEVER SEE A
PROBLEM THE ENTIRE TIME THE SYSTEM IS UP.

3. System turns off normally.

goto 1.

Since I power down the system so infrequently I'm actually not sure if
this happens everytime - or just sometimes - but it seems to be
everytime.  Certainly it should not ever be happening.

  Henrique> Is this Debian?  I have *never* seen something like this
  Henrique> from the set of tools in Debian.

It IS debian - however I am paraphrasing badly.

Here is the text I see straight from the checkroot.sh script :

        echo
        echo "fsck corrected errors on the root partition, but requested that"
        echo "the system be rebooted (exit code $FSCKCODE)."
        echo
        echo "Automatic reboot in 5 seconds."

However fsck does not actually show me any errors, i.e. no "found
duplicate inode" or the usual stuff.

Brian