Re: cant boot with kernel 2.6.8

On Wednesday 06 October 2004 16:33, Ian Lipsky wrote:
> I've been trying to get the 2.6.8 kernel installed. But it keeps failing
> to boot.
>
> nforce2 ide controller at pci slot 0000:00:09.0
> nforce2 chipset revision 162
> nforce2 not 100% native mode, will probe irqs later
> nforce2 bios didnt set cable bits correctly, enabling workaround
>
> <few more lines of text with nothing that looked like an error>
>
> /dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0: unknown partition table
> NTFS driver 2.1.15 flags R/O MODULE
> pivot_root: no such file or directory
> /sbin/init: 426: cannot open dev/console: no such file
> kernel panic: attempted to kill init!
>
> I've been using google to try and find a solution but so far no luck. My
> lilo.conf file looks like this:
>
> image=/vmlinuz
>  label=Linux
>  read-only
>  initrd=/initrd.img
>
> I can boot with the older 2.14.18 kernel with no problem. I tried
> downloading and installing the nforce drivers from nvidia (even though
> they just seem to be audio and network drivers, no ide drivers) but i
> couldnt get that to install either. Tells me gcc version check failed, or
> if i try to compile it manually tells me make command not found (gcc is
> installed).
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Ian

Hi Ian,

This link may prove useful.
http://www.geocities.com/rlcomp_1999/f10errors.html

"After reading the man page on fdisk for Linux, I realized that it will
assume its own geometry if fdisk for Linux is the first utility to
partition the disk."

I believe your situation falls into this category?  It's not complete, and
it might be old, but it could help.

Hope it does.

Justin Guerin