Sound recording in ALSA

I'm using Sid with Debian's 2.6.8-1-686 kernel package on a Dell PC with an
Intel 8x0 sound device and ALSA.  My ultimate goal is to get liveice to
read from the line in on my sound card, but I'm trying to take baby steps
to get there.

Right now I'm attempting to record by:

   1) Going into KMix and selecting "Line" as the capture device (verified
with amixer).
   2) Using something like "arecord -t wav -d 10 /tmp/foo.wav" to attempt to
record the sound that's being played through my speakers to a file.

However, that file seems to be silent on playback, regardless of what
permutations of the steps above I've messed with.  Any pointers on how I
can get started with this?
--
Kirk Strauser