Re: Lost printing from OpenOffice; spadmin doesn't add printer

I am sure we need a standard, easy, free(freedom), free( gratis) system for printing in Linux, in a similar way to Windows (relating to standard and easy).

Regards.

Uwe Dippel escribió:

I found it impossible to generate a new printer with spadmin. Though I'm running from su, "New Printer ..." only offers fax and PDF; the upper "Add a Printer" is greyed out; just as the lower "Import printers ...". Initially I had two printers defined and working. Since I moved office, the
parameters had to be changed.
I tried to add one; with the result as above (greyed out), changed one, without
success (seemed to not accept my new parameters).
Finally I deleted the existing ones to start from scratch. Now the field is
empty; I have all printers lost; and the "Add a Printer" still greyed out.

System-wise, lprng is doing a good job; I can use lpr without any trouble.

I was stupid enough to file a bug with OpenOffice, since this seems most
normal as I was told immediately:

"That's not a bug at all but shows that you are running CUPS (and the lpr you are
using in this case is most likely the CUPS backwards compatibility tool). In
this case adding a printer is disabled since you can, should and must do this
using your system printer administration tool."

I'm obviously too much of a newbie and still don't understand. I never installed CUPS:

$ dpkg -l | grep cups
ii  gnome-cups-man 0.18-2         CUPS printer admin tool for GNOME
ii  libcupsys2-gnu 1.1.20final+rc Common UNIX Printing System(tm) - libs
ii  libgnomecups1. 0.1.12-1       GNOME library for CUPS interaction
ii  libgnomecupsui 0.18-2         UI extensions to libgnomecups
$

and don't want to use it.

I set the printers with lprngtool; and added them last time just a
few months back with spadmin.

I simply cannot print now; there is no printer available in OpenOffice and nothing prints.

Can someone please give me a site or something that is comprehensible
enough to tell me how to get printing back for OpenOffice ??

And I prefer lprng compared to CUPS.

Thanks,

Uwe