Re: 5.1 audio files in asf or asx format?

On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 05:15:02 +0200, Christian Leimer
<christian_leimer@web.de> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I try to listen to a 5.1 audio stream at
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/hitchhikers/index.shtml.
>
> Are there tools for debian with which this is possible?
> I tried juk, kaffein, xmms and xine. No luck at all.
> The mimms tool does not work.
>
> I use debian 3.1 sarge powerpc and kernel 2.6.8.
>
> With realplayer 10 for linux powerpc I can only hear the normal stream.
> Can one with i386 hardware test if realplayer works with 5.1 audio.
> On ppc the raac.so codec is missing.

(pressed the wrong key)

I've tried with firefox and mozilla-mplayer and WMP 5.1seems to work
(i'm not using a 5.1 audio output, only a simple headphones), the real
version seems to have a problem here (mplayer was stuck on
demux_open).

If you want to have a local copy on your HD you can use mimms (but
only for the WMP, don't know if there's something for streamed real
file), but you need to put the correct URI for the streaming file
(look for the "mms://" string in the html code, for example
mms://wm.bbc.co.uk/radio4/hitchhikers/h2g3_episode1.asf =)

Andrea