Re: [hpoj-devel] Can only print one document

I think it is working now. I had upgraded my kernel from 2.4.26-1-k7 to 2.4.27-1-k7. I didn't think this would cause things to go astray. I stuffed around for ages but could only get one page to print.

I then got a reply from Scott (below) and decided to try kernel-image-2.6.8-1-k7 but that was even worse. "ptal-init setup" couldn't even detect the printer. I noticed that the printer.o (or should that be .ko) file doesn't exist as in the 2.4 kernels so obviously things have changed. I didn't investigate too much further.

I decided to downgrade to 2.4.26-1-k7 again, rebooted and bamm!!!, the jobs in the print queue started to print :) :) :)

So, does anyone know what has changed between 2.4.26 and 2.4.27 to cause the hpoj/ptal stuff to not work as previously???
Is there something new I have to configure??

Cheers,
Brendan Simon.

Scott wrote:

I'm not sure how you've setup CUPS to deal with HPOJ.  I had to create a
whole new configuration for the class and printer so that it would talk
directly to /var/run/ptal-printd/my_printer_pipe_file ..it went
something like this:
usb:/var/run/ptal-printd/usb_psc_1315

while ptal sets up 9 different pipes, I just use the one (not sure of
the use for the others - samba perhaps?) and it works fine.  If that
isn't the problem then perhaps it's something else.. i'm using a
compiled 2.6.7 kernel (i run debian sid/unstable) and so certain
functionality that was required before isn't used anymore as everything
talks through libusb now.  Make sure to check /var/log/syslog
/var/log/daemon.log and /var/log/kern.log (extra redundancy never hurts
:) ) for error messages on the second and subsequent prints.. perhaps
the answer is there.
-Scott

* Brendan Simon (BrendanSimon@fastmail.fm) cobbled forth:
I'm running Debian testing (kernel-image-2.4.27-1-k7) with CUPS (cupsys
and cupsys-bsd 1.1.20final) and hpoj-0.91 with an HP LaserJet 3330.

I have had it working with earlier kernels and cups but now it only
prints one document and does not print subsequent documents.  If I use
"lpr file.ps" it prints fine and the queues are empty.  If I run "lpr
file.ps" again the printer says "Printing Document" but nothing happens.
It seems the printer eventually times out but still no other documents can be printed.

I even tried appending the -uel switch to the ptal backend in /usr/lib/cups/ptal but that didn't make any difference.

Any ideas?  I've racked my brain and searched the internet but nothing
has worked so far.  I'm at my wits end.

Please help.