Re: Missing "Disks" entry in Gnome desktop menu

On Sun, Sep 26, 2004 at 11:08:01AM +0200, Andrea Vettorello wrote:
> On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 19:27:48 -0400, Martin Weinberg
> <weinberg@astro.umass.edu> wrote:
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > I'm running Gnome 2.6 from sarge.
> >
> > I'd very much like to have a "Disks" entry in my desktop menu so I can
> > mount and unmount usb storage.
> >
> > I'm not sure if this is a Gnome issue or a Debian issue or (more likely)
> > that I'm missing something about Gnome 2.6.
> >
> > Does anyone know how to fix this?
> >

> I think it's a Gnome feature, not an issue. =)
>
> Seriously, IIRC with the gnome-volume-manager package there's a new
> infrastructure to manage "hotplug" devices and media (but it requires
> udev and hal)...
>

> Andrea

Thanks Andrea, that works.  I installed udev, hal, gnome-volume-manager
(and their dependencies of course).  Now the devices appear in nautilus
after plugging.

In addition, after poking around and realizing
that I needed to
	chmod +x /etc/hal/device.d/fstab-update.sh

the devices are automounted!  Very nice.  The volume names are a bit
obscure (named disk-<major>-<minor>-) but I can live with this.
Presumably a later version will be more desktop friendly.

Thanks again.