Re: Differences between binary images and compiled kernels

--- Silvan <dmmcintyr@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:

> Not enough information.

Thanks for you time!  I didn't want to get too
specific in case there was a general and simple answer
to this situation (getting an old configuration from a
binary install to work).

> What lead you up to running
> make oldconfig?  If you
> installed the vendor-supplied kernel source tree and
> then copied the config
> they used to compile the particular kernel you're
> running
> (eg. /boot/config-2.4.25-1-686) into the kernel
> source directory as a file
> named .config, and then ran make oldconfig, then
> that should have let you
> reproduce their compiled kernel exactly, and should
> have let you compile any
> missing modules for it.

This is exactly what I did but it was not a vendor
supplied source tree, it was downloaded from
kernel.org  The vendor-supplied binaries didn't come
with source (that was an extra set of cd's I didn't
get) so the only source tree is the new 2.4.27 one.

> If you did that, and it
> didn't work, there's no
> single explanation as to why, but one could suppose
> they shipped with a
> broken config.

Well...that's where I am at...confused as to what is
wrong.  When I try and go through the "make oldconfig"
by hand and answer the questions the "make bzImage"
breaks down with errors and bails out.  "missing
symbols" and a host of warnings about other things.

When I just delete .config and let "make oldconfig"
race on through the procedure without asking me any
questions I get the new kernel to compile properly but
it boots up with radically logs.  MOST things work,
but, for example, the MS Joliet extensions to the
CD-ROM driver are not there.  I harp on this because I
assume it is why the file names on the CD are 8.3.

There is no vfat or msdos filesystem available to this
new kernel. In short, I seem to be give a choice of
abandoning the old configuration or having errors
during the compiling.  None of the modules available
in the old binary kernel are seen by "modconf" either.

> What basic procedure was that?

make mrproper
make oldconfig
make dep
make bzImage
make modules
make modules_install
"user fools with links and lilo"

I've seen is outlined for all the distros.

> Anyway, you can patch a kernel source.  I think
> that's what you're after.

It shouldn't be necessary for the following
issues...but I guess that is what he did with the code
from www.scyld.com.  I just mention it as it is one of
the divergences during boot.

> What are your problems?

Floppy will not mount, vfat, msdos, & other
filesystems are not supported, CD-ROM reads old 8.3
filenames, I assume because MS Joliet Extensions will
not load.

> You said something about a vendor supplied kernel,
> and then you said you had
> fooled around trying to compile a plain vanilla
> kernel.org source, but I
> missed the part where you tried one of the myriad
> kernel images installable
> from Debian first.

I need/want to develop a "distribution agnostic" set
of procedures that will be applicable to all (or as
many) distributions if/as possible.  It may be that
Debian upgrades MUST be done their way and the
"vanilla" way (ie make dep, make bzImage, ...) will
not work right.  If that is the case, then so be it,
but I am surprised the old way will not still work...

Thanks again,

Eric Dickner