Re: Command line arguments in applications and X

On Fri, Sep 10, 2004 at 07:58:31PM +0200, Inge Thorin Eidsaether said

> Hi all!
>
> Does anyone have an idea what command line arguments or switches to
> pass to an MDI application, so that, when a running instance of the
> application exists in system memory, a new one isn't spawned?
>
> I believe that kind of arguments to be local to the application, and
> not global in X, but feel free to correct me...

It is application-specific.

> Specifically, I use gFTP to open a remote site, and Bluefish to edit
> web documents. When called from gFTP to edit a document, the above
> desired effect is produced, but that is obviously due to the following
> settings in Bluefish:
>
> Edit > Preferences > Files: [x] Open files in already running bluefish
> window
>
> However, focus is not returned to the editor, and when I manually
> switch to it, the new document tab is not brought to the front. I
> cannot find any window manager settings (sawfish) to control this
> behavior, although I think that at least the first step has to do with
> window management. Fixing this would make editing a little smoother.

It's not really a window manager issue.  It sounds like gftp is just
telling bluefish to open a file, with no WM interaction at all.  It *is*
possible for bluefish to request the focus and to be raised to the top,
but it would require modifications to bluefish, afaik.  Maybe file a
wishlist bug?

Sawfish is scriptable in lisp, of course, so you *could* get gftp to
call a wrapper script that raises and focuses the bluefish window, then
tells it to open a file...

> I use perlpanel as a taskbar, by the way. Maybe that causes the focus
> problems?
>
> Now I don't mind Bluefish, but I would like to try other editors for
> their features (speed, simplicity, etc.), but so far no one opens in
> the desired way.

I don't think any of them will...

--
Words of the day:    enigma HAMASMOIS PLO War Crimes wire transfer arrangements