Re: Confused about modules

On Tuesday 14 September 2004 13:08, Pigeon wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 14, 2004 at 10:16:53AM +1000, Robert Parker wrote:
> > As root
> > On a Woody system 2.4 series kernel.
> >
> > modprobe apm
> > the module installs and is in the lsmod list but does not persist through
> > a boot.
> >
> > insmod apm
> > same story.
> >
> > So what command should I use to have apm installed on boot?
>
> echo apm >> /etc/modules
I had a go at modconf, the more I look at it the better I like the above
method.

> > I guess a second question is why have 2 commands doing the same thing?
>
> If you mean insmod and modprobe... insmod just tries to insert the
> module specified and reports success or failure. modprobe will also
> load any other modules that the specified module depends on.

Thanks for that clarification, also thanks Adam and Kent.

That's dealt with the actual problem, but I notice that lsmod gives me 27
lines of modules, there are just 2 modules in my /etc/modules. Where/when/how
do the other 25 modules get installed? Only 1 of the first 5 appears in
/etc/modules.conf.

Thanks
Bob