Re: urgetn adduser with .dot

Vijaya S wrote:

Hi all,
I want to add a user with .in between for example john.doe

But in debian sarge i was not able to do it with adduser
so i tried with useradd and it was successful. There was an entry in
/etc/passwd file
But when i cd /home/john.doe
it says no such file or directory and i cant see any directory in /home
as john.doe.

Pls tell me what am i doing wrong
i need this for my mail server
I treid same with redhat and it worked
is it a debian issue?

Some *nix systems can't handle special characters in usernames, so I suspect the Debian tool "adduser" doesn't allow this. The "useradd" tool, although allowing this, doesn't handle all the housekeeping tasks that "adduser" does, including creating a home directory. You'll have to do that manually, along with moving skeleton files into the directory, perhaps creating any joe.doe group in /etc/groups, etc.

I suspect that Redhat has tweaked its version of "useradd" to do the things that "adduser" on Debian does.

--
Kent