samba versus nfs

If I have a file server that has a samba server installed and is accessed by
both linux and WinXP machines do I really need NFS installed and running?
My understanding is that samba is more secure than NFS and since one can
mount a samba server from a linux machine via mntsamba I am wondering if there
is any reason to use NFS?  Any thoughts?

                                Lance Hoffmeyer

            The propagandist's purpose is to make one set of people
               forget that certain other sets of psople are human
                                 Aldous Huxley