Re: APT Questions

On Wed, Sep 22, 2004 at 02:47:55PM -0500, debian@techscribe.com wrote:
> Hi.
>
> 1. Does there exist an APT mailing list?
> 2. I was installing the exim backports version, when I got a debconf
> error message:
>
> Preconfiguring packages ...
> Installed debconf version is broken. Aborting preconfigure.
>
> Can anyone suggest what I need to do to fix debconf?
>
> TIA,
> Joseph

> Mail sent from: 24.126.78.239

"Broken" is the apt term for a package that is partially installed or
partially removed, and for which fixing the problem seems to involve
some action that cannot be done automatically. Without debconf properly
installed, progress on installing exim will be problematic at best.
Debconf is the Debian system for asking configuration questions of the
user. You really need it to deal with exim install.

First fix whatever is wrong about debconf. Don't worry about exim
until you have done so. Luckily, you don't need a fully functional
debconf in order to install debconf. Look at what aptitude tells
you.

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net