Re: Also works on 2.6 kernels [was Re: Well documented]

Guest, Simon wrote:
On Thursday 26 Aug 2004 03:14, Tom Allison wrote:

Guest, Simon wrote:

Install these Debian packages :-
nvidia-glx                      - NVIDIA binary XFree86 4.x driver
nvidia-kernel-common            - NVIDIA binary kernel module common
files nvidia-kernel-source	- NVIDIA binary kernel module source

Then carefully follow the instructions
in /usr/share/doc/nvidia-kernel-source/README.Debian

My experience with Nvidia and SuSE was such that kernel upgrades
frequently broke X-windows, but 3 minutes re-running the NVidia script
broght things back in line.  It wasn't favorable, but it wasn't
impossible either.

Yes indeed, every time you install a new kernel, you have to build the matching Debian nvidia-kernel package (i.e. carefully following the instructions ...). It takes only slightly more than 3 minutes.

cheers,
Simon

This is where I've finished with the install.
I'm wondering how it might be possible, if even reasonable, to have user defined scripts run after the installation of a kernel-image package? This would solve my problem of forgetting.

But so would a sticky note...

I have had to disable the kernel-image-2.6-k7 package because it will automatically upload the kernel image and I may not be around to run the NVIDIA script when it reboots.

Could I put in a script to check/store uname outputs and use that as a "flag" to at least warn about possible problems?