Re: mouse: kernel 2.6.6 -> 2.6.8 ???

On Mon, Sep 20, 2004 at 12:01:11PM -0500, helices wrote:
> What broke?  What changed?
>
> I have been running 2.6x kernels on this legacy PPro box for most of
> this year -- first kernel-image-2.6.2-1-686, then
> kernel-image-2.6.6-2-686 -- without incident.
>
> Today, the only change I made was to install these:
>
>     kernel-doc-2.6.8
>     kernel-headers-2.6.8-1-686
>     kernel-image-2.6.8-1-686
>
> When I boot into this, the mouse cursor moves; but, is totally insane ;<
>
> It gravitates to the left side of the screen, near randomly opens menus,
> and randomly selects menu items, and moves icons to different locations
> on the screen -- basically, there is no chance to function normally in
> KDE v3.2x.
>
> I have disabled gpm -- no change.
>
>     # grep mouse /etc/modules
>     mousedev
>     psmouse
>
> .From /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 :
>
>     Section "InputDevice"
>             Identifier      "Configured Mouse"
>             Driver          "mouse"
>             Option          "CorePointer"
>             Option          "Device"                "/dev/psaux"
>             Option          "Protocol"              "ImPS/2"
>             Option          "Emulate3Buttons"       "true"
>             Option          "ZAxisMapping"          "4 5"
>     EndSection
>
>     Section "InputDevice"
>             Identifier      "Generic Mouse"
>             Driver          "mouse"
>             Option          "SendCoreEvents"        "true"
>     #       Option          "Device"                "/dev/input/mice"
>             Option          "Device"                "/dev/psaux"
>             Option          "Protocol"              "ImPS/2"
>             Option          "Emulate3Buttons"       "true"
>             Option          "ZAxisMapping"          "4 5"
>     EndSection
>
> Which brings up another question: How do I get a /dev/input/ ???
>
> This box has been upgraded since Slink, and it has *no* /dev/input/ ;<

~ %% ls /dev/input -l
total 0
crw-rw----    1 root     root      13,  64 Mar 14  2002 event0
crw-rw----    1 root     root      13,  65 Mar 14  2002 event1
crw-rw----    1 root     root      13,  66 Mar 14  2002 event2
crw-rw----    1 root     root      13,  67 Mar 14  2002 event3
crw-rw----    1 root     root      13,   0 Mar 14  2002 js0
crw-rw----    1 root     root      13,   1 Mar 14  2002 js1
crw-rw----    1 root     root      13,   2 Mar 14  2002 js2
crw-rw----    1 root     root      13,   3 Mar 14  2002 js3
crw-rw----    1 root     root      13,  63 Mar 14  2002 mice
crw-rw----    1 root     root      13,  32 Mar 14  2002 mouse0
crw-rw----    1 root     root      13,  33 Mar 14  2002 mouse1
crw-rw----    1 root     root      13,  34 Mar 14  2002 mouse2
crw-rw----    1 root     root      13,  35 Mar 14  2002 mouse3
~ %%

mknod away.

> Anyway, what ought I to check?  I have googled, and scoured debian
> archives.  Mine is not any of the slew of mouse problems that I have
> found there.  Reverting to kernel-image-2.6.6-2-686 -- the mouse is
> working as expected.
>
> What do you think?

If you need 2.6.8-1 and need X, comment out both pointers, start X with
the -allowMouseOpenFail option, then hit Shift-NumLock and use
MouseKeys.

12346789 - directions
5 - click
0 - press