Re: Bootloader for Sarge - partitions

On Sat, Sep 18, 2004 at 03:29:59PM -0700, Alvin Oga wrote:

> On Sat, 18 Sep 2004, Robert Epprecht wrote:
>
> > Alvin Oga <aoga@ns.Linux-Consulting.com> writes:
> >
> > > 	- /boot should NOT be a separate partition

That NOT true. The right line today is

/boot no longer needs to be a separate partition.

It used to be required due to bios limitations on the location of the
system on the disk, but that requirement was removed so ...
Its sometimes a problem to have lilo/grub on the second HD or the
second/third/... controllers, but thats less and less true also.

> > Why? Please elaborate.
>
> even if you can boot, you do NOT have a root fs ..
> ( /etc /bin /sbin /lib /dev ... )
>
> you can always use a fd or cd or network to boot
> the system if the rootfs /etc /bin /sbin is working
> without /boot
>
> without a rootfs ... it is pointless to boot unless
> the boot fd or boot cd has its own rootfs
> ( like an installer or standalone system like knoppix )
>
> gazillion ways to boot a box
>
> only one way to fix a dead linux install
> 	- to get into single user mode
> 	or boot a standalone system w/o needing the
> 	dead/suspect hard disk
>
> 	- a bad partition scheme will prevent you
> 	from fixing your "disk gone bad" due to
> 	corruptions in ext2/ext3/reiserfs/etc
>
> partition scheme is important if you dont want to lose
> your user data in say /home
> 	- user configs in /etc is easy to save onto floppy

I have to admit I can't follow your reasoning here. Whats the relation
between a separate boot partition and the ability to boot in single
user mode or access the partition from a live-cd and relatives?