uname problem??

Hallo

I am having terrible problems with my system, I think coreutils was upgraded in my last apt-get
update/upgrade and now uname does not seem to function like it should, it behave rather like
fsck... thus rendering many start up scripts useless and making my computer not boot properly.

uname should print out system information, but the version i have seems to wants to be fsck, here
is the out put from uname run without any switches

shell:~#uname
Usage: uname [-panyrcdfvstDFSV] [-b superblock] [-B blocksize]
[-I indoe_buffer_blocks] [-P process_inode_size]
[-l|-L bad_blocks_file] p-C fd] [-j ext-journal]
[-E extended-options] device

Emergency help:
-p automatic repair
-n make no changes to the filesystem
-y assume 'yes' to all questions
-c check for bad blocks and add the to the badblock list
-f force checking even if filesystem is marked clean
-v be verbose
-b superblock use alternative superblock
-B blocksize force blocksize when looking for superblock
-j external-journal set location of the external journal
-l bad_blocks_file add to badblocks list
-L bad_blocks_file set badblocks list

yes, very suspiciously like the output of fsck --help (which im not going to put here as i just
had to type the above by hand copying from my other monitor :P).
I really am at a loose end, i dont know why or how this happened, as i say i rebooted about
12hours after having apt-get updated/upgraded and found that my system was unable to start
properly because uname is used in so many start up scripts... all that it was printing to the
screen during boot was the usage of the supposed uname (ie wats above).

Does anyone know wat has happened here? or can anyone point me in the direction of wat i should do
to recover uname etc... i think ihave carried out the siplest checks by trying to upgrade/update
again, checking that uname is not a funny symlink and stuff...

Rah, this really has me stumped!

any help would be much appreciated
thanks
edward parris