Re: Bootloader for Sarge

Matthew Jackson wrote:
I just downloaded the weekly build for Sarge and burnt the first iso. The install goes great but when asked to install GRUB, I decide not to install to the MBR so it asks me where to install it to. The reason is I have XP on one hard disk and Linux on the other hard disk. the linux hard disk comes up as 'hdc'.

Do you have 2 hard disks? The 1st must be hda and the second hdb. Why hdc? Also it ought to be possible by this release of the installer to use LILO. I always use LILO.

On it I have partitioned it into these:
/boot 250mb
/tmp 750mb
/var 1gb
/ 10gb
/usr 20gb
swap 1gb
/home remainder ~40gb

That's a 40GB disk? You can fit 6 Limux partitions onto that.

in that order. I tell the debian installer to install GRUB into /dev/hdc1 meaning the /boot partition. I want to use the NTLDR so it does not mess with windows MBR. I then have installed bootpart onto my xp drive and added to boot.ini the 250mb (/boot) linux drive as read here: http://www.aboutdebian.com/dualboot.htm In bootpart my /boot is number 2. So is it the debiban installer not putting it where I want or is it bootpart not finding it?

What is the result? In order to use GRUB you have to hit the MBR.
Why not access XP with GRUB instead of the other way around?
In LILO I just use:

other=/dev/hda1
	label=XP
	table=/dev/hda
And when you pick "XP" it boots. Until I got rid of it, that is.
Best thing I ever did. ;-)

Any help? Hope I was clear with everything. Matt

Hugo