Re: sleep inside .xsession ?

On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 17:24:12 +0300, Micha Feigin <michf@post.tau.ac.il> wrote:
> I am trying to open urxvtd (the urxvt unicode daemon) from .xsession
> and urxvtc (the client). The problem is that the client needs for the
> daemon to start first so I need to wait. I can't figure out how to
> implement such a wait.
>
> The following causes nothing to happen
> exec sleep 1 && urxvtc &
> or
> exec sleep 1 && ( urxvt & ) &
> and this causes X to exit immediatly
> exec sleep 1 && ( urxvtc & )
> or
> exec sleep
> exec urxvtc &
>
> Any pointers?

Why are you using "exec"?  That replaces the current process,
so it's not surprising that X exits.  Does the daemon return
immediately, or does it wail until it's ready for clients?  If the
latter, then

urxvt && (urxvtc &)

should work.  Interpose a sleep in there if you need a delay, but
don't use exec.  You'll still need to have a window manager listed
at the end of your .xsession file.  The other option is to use your
window manager's start-up configuration.  I only know how to
do this for fvwm2, though.

--
Michael A. Marsh
http://www.umiacs.umd.edu/~mmarsh