Re: Getting Started with Debian 3.0

On Wed, Sep 15, 2004 at 06:52:45PM -0500, Andrew Konosky wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I started out in Linux with RedHat 8.0, then 9.0, and now I run Fedora
> Core 2 on my primary computer. I have used the Knoppix cd a lot, which I
> know is based on Debian, so I wanted to try out the full version of
> Debian. I just installed Debian on my old computer, which was running
> SuSe 9.1, but I didn't really like SuSe. It is now a Win98SE/Debian 3.0
> dual boot system.
>
> I was a little uneasy about the text-only installation after getting
> used to RedHat's anaconda installer and Suse's fully automatic YaST
> (which is pretty cool if you've never tried it!), and even more puzzled
> when I started up KDE2 (which crashes on startup!) instead of 3.2 or
Does your system also auto-logout after ~30 minutes?
Try removing Option "DPMS" from your /etc/X11/XF86Config-4.
> 3.3, and Gnome 1.4, which does work. Then I checked the Debian website,
> and the release date of Nov 21, 2003 explains that. So I have an
> out-of-date system. I know how to use apt, since I use Synaptic on my
> FC2 system, but the network card doesn't seem to be working (typing this
> e-mail on FC2 system...). What program does Debian use to configure
> network cards?
1. Use DHCP if you can (installer option)
2. Dunno about the "Debian Way", but you can (I did) edit
/etc/network/interfaces.

Mine (as a starter):
# /etc/network/interfaces -- configuration file for ifup(8), ifdown(8)

# The loopback interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The first network card - this entry was created during the Debian installation
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
        address 192.168.2.4
        netmask 255.255.255.0
        broadcast 192.168.2.255
        gateway 192.168.2.1
        network 192.168.254.0

> Once I get the network card setup so I can get online, where might I
> find a sources.list for apt with some Debian mirros to get updated from?
I've heard of backports.org and apt-get.org

Debianishly speaking, "stable" means unchanging.
You don't get new software, only security fixes.

> My FC2 system runs a Samba server to share my mp3 files, which Win98 is
> setup to see, but I would like to configure Debian to use my FC2 Samba
> server as well. Any tutorials on this?
apt-get install smbmount
mkdir /fc2
smbmount -N //fc2box/shared /fc2

Not sure how to make it run at fs startup.

> And lastly, any general tips/hint/suggestions?
Dump woody and get sarge. It'll be released Real Soon Now, but is
available for download.

(Note: Sarge is still not "stable", so there is a chance it will
spontainiously stop working.  That's what debian-user is for (among
other things.))

--
The world's most effective spam filter:
        ln -sf /dev/full /var/mail/$USER