Re: initrd / linuxrc: /bin/sh: can't access tty; job control turned off

On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 ms419@freezone.co.uk wrote:

> I been trying for what feels like ever to build an initrd to boot an
> LVM 2 root partition on a foreign architecture. Unfortunately, I keep
> seeing:
>
> RAMDISK: Compressed image found at block 0
> VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem) readonly.
> Freeing unused kernel memory: 164k init 4k chrp 32k prep
> /bin/sh: can't access tty; job control turned off
> #
>
> with even the simplest linuxrc : (
>
> I created an initrd consisting of:
>
> /bin
> /bin/dash
> /bin/echo
> /bin/sh -> dash

you probably want more binaries ... insmod, rmmod, mount, ..

> /dev
> /dev/console c 5 1

you need to create more devices ... esp the disk devices

> /lib
> /lib/ld.so.1
> /lib/libc.so.6

the libs you need are based on the "ldd binary-you-want-to-use"

> /linuxrc
>
> linuxrc is a not-overly-complicated shell script:
>
> #!/bin/sh
>
> echo linuxrc is working!

you probably want to insmod the device drivers

c ya
alvin