locale hell

I'm trying to install/configure a notebook from the debian-installer and testing/unstable branches.

I've not selected 'tasksel' in the installation process.

Now, every time that I attempt to run apt-get or many other things I get hammered with these errors:

perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
        LANGUAGE = (unset),
        LC_ALL = (unset),
        LC_CTYPE = "en_US.UTF-8",
        LANG = (unset)

And then I'm left with dozens of broken packages.

I ran into this about two months ago on another box and have no real clue what I did to get it working again. But localedef and locales doesn't seem to help anything at all. My /etc/locale.gen only contains
en_US ISO-8859-1

During the installation of (IIRC) xserver-xfree86 I was asked about locales and at the time I selected only the en_UTF8. I'm not sure about this package since installing this generally comes with a groundswell of other packages as well.

I'm worried. I haven't run into a problem that I couldn't eventually solve in years and there is nothing under /usr/share/doc/ to provide any assistance.