Re: Soundcard Support???

On Sat, Sep 11, 2004 at 11:05:40AM -0400, jwyman wrote:
> i have a dell dimension 8300 with a soundblaster live! card....the
> debian drivers Emu10k1 or SB will not make it work...no sound at
> all....i'd really like to HEAR (pun..lol) from someone with a possible
> solution...thanks

I just got sound working on my computer after 4yrs trying. 2yr on
RedHat and 2yr on Debian. Not continuous, but on and off trying. I'm
not yet sure it will stay working, but I'm hoping.

My impression is that there a lot of modules that try to make sound work
and that there is a real problem with them stepping on each other and
that there are a lot of people who have sound working, but really don't
know how it happened. And there are some people who do know.

First, you have got to tell what version of Debian you are using, and
what you have tried so far.

Check if you, as a user of your machine, have been made a member of
the audio group.

What audio mixer are you using? I use kmix. Are your audio mixer volume
adjustments all set at maximum volume?

Do you have X installed? Gnome? KDE?

A lot more questions should follow from others who know more, but for
now, you haven't told enough about your set up.

HTH

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net