Re: (Sid) Net broken - Sending streams stall

Executive summary:
KPPP is to blame, pon does not have the behaviour I described.

Details:
I knew older Debian's used to work, so I got out my old Potato CDs to see if
this really was a problem with bad hardware disliking the Linux IP stack. My
theory was that if it was bad hardware Potato would do the same weird things
with file uploads.

I always used KPPP to dialup. I like to have the docked icon and throughput
graph available. Of-course, my Potato CDs didn't come with KDE, so I went the
way of the console, using pppconfig/pon/poff and cftp. They worked fine and
all test uploads went smoothly, just as you would expect. No weird stalling
of uploads that I had experienced, or that you would expect if there was bad
hardware in the way. That made me wonder what was different. It was KPPP.

So I boot up Sid and try dialling by pon. Sure enough, uploads now worked
flawlessly. (And I was able to commit a whole bunch of stuff that had been
waiting for a month.) I hangup and try again in KPPP, and lo and behold
uploads stall at 40K, just as it had been doing before.

So there you go - something is very wrong with my KPPP config (or KPPP
itself). I'm not in a hurry to fix it now that I have a workaround, but any
ideas are welcome. I'll post config files on demand. ;-)

Peace,
Brendon

PS: I'm subscribed, no more CC for me.