initrd question

I'm trying to upgrade to the vmlinuz-2.6.7-1-k7 kernel and my system has an Adaptec AIC7XXX EISA/VLB/PCI adapter. The stock vmlinuz-2.6.7-1-k7 kernel has aic7xxx support compiled as a module. I added the aic7xxx module line to /etc/mkinitrd/modules and recreated the initrd image with 'mkinitrd -o /boot/initrd.img-2.6.7-1-k7 2.6.7-1-k7'. I'm using grub as my boot loader so I figured all is well. Booting the new kernel does not load the module and thus upon trying to mount the root file system produces the following:

VFS:cannot open root device "sda2"or unknown-block (0,0)
Please append correct "root=" boot option
Kernel panic: VFS Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)

presumably because the SCSI module has not been loaded yet. I do not see any of the probing messages my old 2.4.19 kernel outputs which has aic7xxx support compiled in. Any advice or suggestions on where to look for problems or what I have done wrong?

Thanks for any time.
Steve