Re: Switch MDK -> Debian, probably

Olaf Marzocchi wrote:

Hi,
I'm a MDK user and I'm evaluating a switch to Debian mainly because of the better package management system.

To make my mind I need to know few things:

-> with MDK, to update the main packages I have to reinstall the OS every 6 or 12 months. I don't use linux as main OS (I use Mac OS X), so it's pretty annoying... the time I spend mantaining the OS is too much. What about Debian? Can I update the whole system (without adding packages, I mean, only updates) without the need of a complete reinstall? (MDK main OS installer is not really good in doing upgrades). I don't want to reconfigure everything every 6 months...

If you stay within the Stable branch, then yes, when a new stable is released (whether it's six months, or more typically lately 3 years), then you can just update the whole system without adding new things (except for a few new things as packages get broken up or consolidated or a new dependency arises, etc). Reinstallation of the entire OS for a Debian upgrade is simply not the Debian way.

If you break out of the Stable branch into the Testing or Unstable branch, all promises are null and void. Still, it's been my experience that running Unstable on all my desktop boxes has been almost painless.

-> In MDK, when I had to upgrade from KDE 3.1.x to KDE 3.2 (I had MDK9.2, I tried to update only what I needed), I had to force the urpmi system to uninstall all the kde packages (I had to force it because urpmi keeps track of every dependency: a wonderful system, it always worked beautifully except this time, not like the original rpm). Unfortunately, the process wasn't flawless. When I started kde 3.2, I found that kdm (login manager) lost every WM other than kde... OO.org never started anymore... and similar things. I heard a friend saying in Debian the process would have been as simple as a single cmdline. Is it true (I mean, *facts*, not "it should be so", please...). Remember that a traditional update would be simple even under MDK, I take KDE 3.1.x -> 3.2 as example because the packages number/names changed, urpmi couldn't cope with this. What about .deb? This point is important.

This is more problematic, as if you stay in Stable, you're not going to get a new version of KDE until a new version of Stable is released. If you get a new version of KDE via some other means, such as by upgrading to Testing or Unstable, or by going to third-party .debs, etc, all promises are null and void. Still, it's been my experience that running Unstable on all my desktop boxes has been almost painless.

-> what about the kernel? Did the 2.4 -> 2.6 change require a complete os install?

No. Not at all. But then I run unstable, and I'm not sure I've upgraded a Stable box from 2.4 to 2.6.

-> kernels: are they patched? MDK ships a kernel heavily patched as standard, in my opinion this is really useful. If debian kernels are "clean", can I take a MDK kernel (let's suppose I compile it, but what about taking the rpm with the kernel?) and use it in Debian? (I suppose yes, but who knows)

Beyond my experience. But I believe Debian kernels are "clean".

-> rpm packages are everywhere... what about .deb? I'm able to compile apps, but, since having a package allow me to uninstall it cleanly and simply, I always prefer prepackaged apps. Will I be able to use rpms?

Many (not all) rpms can be converted into .debs via "alien". Also, I understand that it's relatively trivial to create a .deb from a source/binary package, but I've never tried, and my understanding may be fried, so you can assume I've lied ("What's with the rhymes?" he sighed.).

-> will I be able to use MDK, SUSE and Fedora (the latter doesn't matter that much, I never seen them) configuration tools? AFAIK, Debian leave the user alone, there are no "debian" tool to configure the OS (I originally chose MDK due to this). Note: this point is a must. Without GUI tools to speed up system configuration, I won't choose Debian.

Then you might want to stay away from Debian. There are tools, but generally they're command-line rather than GUI. There are advantages/disadvantages both ways, so I won't try to sway you, but if you really insist on sweet-tasting GUIness, perhaps you'd do better to look into one of the Debian-based commercial distros; I _think_ Xandros and Libranet are Debian-based. Knoppix is Debian-based (but probably not really what you're looking for). I've never gone that route, and don't have much experience, but I've got a cousin who has, and he's always asking me how to do this or that, and I give the Debian answer, and he winds up messing things up worse than when he started. For me, give me pure Debian. It just works.

If you need to know, I'd choose the testing branch, even if don't remember the kernel it ships... I hope 2.6. [update: no, it ships 2.4.something. What about 2.6? I want it]

2.6 is available for Testing I believe.

Last thing: what about reiserfs4? will it be among the FS choices? if not I'll choose reiserfs, but is a rfs3.6->rfs4 upgrade possible without format?

reiserfs is available with the new Testing installer. I don't know about rfs versions. I don't know if you can convert to rsf without a reformat of the partition.

--
Kent West
westk@acu.edu