Re: How to set up CUPS client

On Tue, 07 Sep 2004 13:10:07 +0200, Tom Pfeifer wrote:
> I have 2 machines on a local network, both running Debian/Sarge. One has
> a printer (Epson SC 660) attached to it's parallel port, and I have that
> printer set up with CUPS so that I can print to it from that machine.
> That machine is a CUPS server and client, and it works fine. I used the
> CUPS web interface (port 631) to set it up.

The simplest way is to install these packages on the client (not sure
if cupsys-bsd is really needed)
cupsys                                          install
cupsys-bsd                                      install
cupsys-client                                   install
libcupsimage2                                   install
libcupsys2-gnutls10                             install

Cups has a (default enabled) browsing protocol which will let the
cupsys server on your client pc discover printers which are configured
on the cupsys other server[1]. This should simply work, though if either
system has more than one IP or network card, you may need to configure
BrowseAddress in /etc/cups/cupsd.conf.

[1] OK, I'm simplifying things here. In a more diverse network, any
one cupsys process can discover printers on any other cups
server. AFAIK even windows can't beat that :)

--
Stephen Patterson http://patter.mine.nu/
steveSPAM@.patter.mine.nu  remove SPAM to reply