Re: rm difficult filename

John Summerfield wrote:

> Often, too, you can use the TAB key to advance over problematic characters, a "?" to represent one of them and "*" to represent any number of them. So
>
> rm ?rtsp-stream-over-tcp
> rm *over-tcp

Sometimes, but in this case it wouldn't work.  Using a * or ? will help
with characters that the shell wants to mess with, but - generally has
no special meaning to the shell. [1]

So "rm *over-tcp" will be globbed by the shell and passed to rm as
"rm -rtsp-stream-over-tcp".  This doesn't help because the first - is
interpreted by rm itself as an indication that the argument is a flag
instead of a file.

Some people take advantage of this behavior by creating a file called
"-i" in important directories, so "rm *" will turn into "rm -i ..."
causing rm to ask for confirmation before deleting.

[1] Yes, I'm aware of "cd -" and there are probably other special cases.

regards,

GPG public key ID: 4F83C751                 Princeton, NJ 08544