Re: apache2 config files

dwight@tsystemscorp.com wrote:

On Tue, 7 Sep 2004 14:01:03 -0500 (EST)
dwight@tsystemscorp.com wrote:

Installed apache2 ver 2.0.50-12, this weekend for the first. All the
documentation that I have seen states httpd.conf is the configuration
file, when the install has it as apache2.conf.

Is this setup a debian setup or is this a standard apache2 setup?

If debian is there any documentation?
/etc/apache2/README might be a good start.

HTH,
Jacob

Did that, still wasn't clear. Being my first time with debian, I was
surprised there wasn't much on the lists.

So I take it, it is just debian setup this way.
Debian has its own way. Which I rather like.

/etc/apache2/apache2.conf is the equivalent of /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf in Redhat.

Files in /etc/apache2/sites-available are httpd.conf snippets of sites that could be included. To enable a site, put a symbolic link to it in /etc/apache2/sites-enabled back to the conf file in sites-available.

Similar process to enable modules - put symbolic links in mods-enabled to the files in mods-available. Even cgi isn't enabled by default on Debian - it is on Redhat.

So you configure stuff by creating symbolic links, rather than editing the default config file, which is rather neat.

All rather neat when you've worked it out.

Regards, Upayavira (a serious Debian newbie)