Re: postfix vs. exim, mailscanner vs. amavis, clamav, IMAP server thoughts?

On Mon, 06 Sep 2004 07:12:31 +1000
Paul Gear <paul@gear.dyndns.org> wrote:

> Hi folks,

Hey,

Check out this link for email server info:

http://www.badmagicnumber.com/linotes/cimap.php

This is one of my own pages as I put this little thingy together myself.
I cannot overemphasize the the importance of a maintainable extensible
(shiver) backend. I have used LDAP as my backend for years and it has
always paid off. Courier and Exim read authentication and other
data right out of it. You may extend it to Samba and pam-ldap. Apache
can read authentication data right out of it for Webdav calendaring(?).
You can extend the schema to do whatever you want. GQ and Phpldap admin
are good frontends for management.

Or you can use Mysql/Postgres. But LDAP is da man.

Oh, and with Exim you can compile with Perl and script to your heart's
content.

As for apt-get...well, apt-get is numero uno, but I compile all this
stuff from source because I want it exactly the way I want it and I got
it and it was fun.

Good luck,
Craig Jackson

Vote for the liberal. It's important.